Kinsmen Kart Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanting to get Started Racing!

3 posters

Go down

Wanting to get Started Racing! Empty Wanting to get Started Racing!

Post  Rick Groeniger Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:14 pm

Hello,

I am new to your forum and looking at joining your club. But have tons of questions. Is there a blue print, or advice/recomendations I could get for getting started? My son is 10 and has an older 80cc Comer kart that has never been raced, just fooled around with. I'm sure it needs upgrades to be brought up to date, but dont know were to start. We have some entry level Quarter midget experience and some indoor karting time as well, so I'm not totally green. Any advice that could be shed would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure the first order of business is evaluating our kart. Thanks in advance, Rick
Rick Groeniger
Rick Groeniger
Racer

Back to top Go down

Wanting to get Started Racing! Empty Re: Wanting to get Started Racing!

Post  Dan Chase Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:40 pm

I need to qualify my opinion, I never raced a Junior I, but I have been around karting off and on for almost 40 years. I also ran my oldest son in Quarter Midgets from the time he was 6 and race with my youngest son in Jr. II now. I stayed away from Jr I because of the Comer, it reminded me of the old days of Quarter Midgets before the Honda was allowed.

Unless you have a lot of disposable income, I would use your Comer to get your son LOTS of track time between now and the start of the season, then buy an HPV1 for him to start racing with. Chances are, your Comer wont stack up against the competition and will be obsolete when he's ready to move to Jr II. With the HPV, the motors require a lot less maintenance and are much closer in performance. When your son is ready to run Jr. II, change the carb and the pipe and run the same motor.
Dan Chase
Dan Chase
Racer

http://www.MattChaseRacing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Pettit Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

I can't agree more with Dan. Run that comer into the ground and when your ready to start racing get an HPV. Traditionally the comer class has been larger than HPV but i believe things are changin! Most of kinsmens older Jr 1 drivers are moving to HPV and most of the kid karters(youngsters) that are moving up this winter are also goingHPV. My son has raced kid karts for 3 years and after 3yrs of comer 50 motors the last thing i wanted to do was buy another comer. If you decide to go HPV, Rick Luther at R&M is a great source. They (Rick n Jessie) also happen to keep our great club running so wellll. This website has a link to R&M. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck and hope to see some new faces at the track.

Joe P

Joe Pettit
Racer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down