Kinsmen Kart Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Break Bleeding Help

2 posters

Go down

Break Bleeding Help Empty Break Bleeding Help

Post  Anthony Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:34 am

My son has lost the breaks on his kart (Kosmic), he has to push the peddle all the way down and the kart barley slows down. I believe the breaks need to be bleed, I have the break bleeder and fluid, but I’m not sure what to do next. I was looking for a screw/value to loosen on the caliper but I did not see anything that looked like it would the job. Any help would be great! Thanks

Anthony
Racer

Back to top Go down

Break Bleeding Help Empty Brake bleeding help

Post  Neil Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Anthony, you did not say what kind of brake bleeder you have. You probably have the kind that has the squeeze bottle at the top. This is the most common and the one I think works the best. It is a pretty simple procedure. First clean away any dirt / grease from the filler plug on the Master cylinder and the Brake Caliper bleed nipple. If I understand you correctly you are not able to identify the bleed nipple on the caliper? Usually, there are two on a caliper and they look like a grease fitting. In very rare cases the bleed nipple will just be a bolt head with no nipple but a small hole in the middle of the hex bolt head. Once the bleed nipples are located then the procedure is quite simple. Fill the bottle approx. half full of the appropriate Dot Spec brake fluid. Most of the time Dot 3 or 4 is used for Euro Karts and Dot 5 is used in USA Karts. Screw the bleeder into the filler hole in the Master Cylinder. Open the valve on the bleeder and tap the bleeder a couple of times to let as much air out of the Master Cylinder as you can. Then while squeezing the bottle at the top of the bleeder, reach back with your wrench and open the bleeder nipple that is farthest away from the Master Cylinder first and open it until all the bubbles bleed out and only clean brake fluid comes out. You will want to repeat this procedure a couple of times on each side of the caliper to insure that all the air and old fluid are flushed away. Be careful to close the bleeder nipple before you stop squeezing on the bottle. If you stop squeezing the bottle first, you will allow air to be pulled back into the caliper. Last but very important. Most Master Cylinders are the positive displacement type. In either case fill the Master Cylinder reservoir completely full. In other words don’t leave any air under the filler cap. Because if you have a positive displacement type Master Cylinder, the air will cause the pedal to feel mushy no matter how much you bleed it. I hope this helps.

Neil
Racer

http://hometown.aol.com/user1c158/myhomepage/autoracing.html

Back to top Go down

Break Bleeding Help Empty Brake Bleeding Help

Post  Anthony Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi Neil, thanks for the information! I’m going to give it a try tonight.

Anthony

Anthony
Racer

Back to top Go down

Break Bleeding Help Empty Re: Break Bleeding Help

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum